Thursday

Agency Warning


-->
I was recently attempting to sign with a larger agency and things went a little sour. I had sent this agency a few of my portfolio shots and I was asked to meet with them. Things went well at the first meeting and I was asked to change a few things about my appearance, and contact them the following month (get leaner, tone down, etc.) When I returned to the Agency, for an open call which I thought was strange, I met again with same people I had the first time. Things were going well, they had acknowledged that I had leaned down and fit the look they wanted me to; this is where they began getting a little pushy about making this $500 investment. I didn't think too much about this because I was an inexperienced model and was ready to make this "investment." I then sat in the lobby of this agency for about an hour while I thought they were thinking long and hard about signing me.

After what seemed like a long time they decided to sign me. Admittedly I was excited, I was getting signed by, what I thought was a great agency and about to have a great opportunity. Once again on the way to get the contract the owner of the agency met with me and became very pushy about making sure that I would be able to make the minimum $500 investment. I said, naively, that this wouldn't be a problem. They gave me the contract and then the "new faces" representative went through a little bit of the contract with me. I was then asked to look over it myself and to sign it after I was through. They didn't really give me the option of getting a copy, or taking it home with me. They were pushy about the "investment" while the "new faces" rep was talking to me. And by pushy, I mean they would mention the investment in photography fees, portfolio fees, etc. and made me feel like if I weren't comfortable with making this $500 and more investment then I was not going to get signed. I signed the contract and everything along with it. The next step after signing was getting my test shots done. Test shots have to be done anyway so that agencies can make sure you look good for what they want to book you out for. I understood that and was alright. The day after I signed I was told to contact the photographer for my test shoot. This is important; the agency basically forced me into using this one photographer. They did not give me a list of photographers, other options etc. On the phone with the test photographer I was to use, I was asked to pay $420 cash. I asked if I could pay this test photographer with check and the photographer make it very clear that I would have to pay in cash. Along with this initial fee, I was going to have to pay for prints, and digital copies which would have been at least another $80.
So, after my conversation with the test photographer red flags started going up in my head. 
First of all, I should not have to pay cash. Further research only led to this situation getting worse. I found that this agency was attempting to scam me, basically by doing a "Photography Mill" on me. As devastating as this was to me, I took action immediately. I contacted the photographer and canceled the photo shoot. I then contacted the agency after wards, and the bullying began. I explained how I felt that $500.00 was a little steep for a photo shoot; I mean this is over twice the price of a normal photo shoot in Dallas! The agency said, "$400.00 is a big investment?" I asked if I could use other photographers and suggested a few and their reply was that they were attempting to get me the best photographer they could and get me the best shots that would get me booked the fastest. I ended the conversation and let the agency know that I needed to re-evaluate. At this point I was ready to terminate the contract, it was obvious the agency was going to force me into using this photographer and that I was going to have to work with this photographer in order to get shots that would get me booked. If I even thought about using another photographer I probably wasn't going to get booked with those shots.
They also didn't give me a copy of the contract that I signed.  They had told me it was only geographically exclusive in Dallas.  However, I later found out there was a strange 'Mother Agency" clause which actually gave them total control over everything in my career.  I should have receive a copy of that contract.
All in all, this was just a bad situation. The agency didn't want to work with me when I told my financial situation was going to be hard for what they were asking. They kept on pushing and pushing about using the best photographer in order to make myself get booked quicker. I feel that bullied me into things and that they were a little forceful with the situation. I kept things simple and civil, and never accused them of scamming me. I asked to end the contract and made sure that I got a letter of cancellation signed by them when I went back to the agency. 
In this process I learned invaluable information that I hope is useful for other models. I don't want anyone else to end up in this situation, so always question the agency you are attempting sign with. They should work with you, and they should make an investment in you. You are making money for them, and should not have to pay that much up front expense unless the photographer is extremely well known and will undoubtedly get you booked. Even so, the agency should still work with you and give you options.

No comments: